Growing up in Ohio, with lake effect snow, I’m accustom to winters being long and white. It wasn’t uncommon for snow to still be falling in March.
Pennsylvania is not like that.
Pennsylvania has sporadic snow days and as someone who loves winter, I’m not such a fan of this.
Yep, you read that right. I LOVE WINTER! I love the white powder covering the ground. I love the cold chill in the air. I love the bare trees glittering with icicles. I love sweaters. I love boots. And I love heavy, comforting food.
With so much to love about winter, it’s almost sad when the snow starts to melt and the green starts to show. Just almost.
However, spring is still several months away so I’m gonna enjoy this winter as much as I can! Boots are worn at every opportunity. Books are being consumed under warm blankets. And good, heavy food is being devoured before the warmth dictates grilled delights.
One of my favorite winter meals is Red Potato, Ham, and Gouda Soup. It’s warm and gooey and perfect with some nice crusty bread.
Of course, one of my favorite parts of this meal is the fact that it combines two of my favorite things — 1. winter food 2. easy meal.
Yes, I am a lazy, lazy cook. I like homemade food but I’m not such a fan of spending my evenings in the kitchen. I’m definitely not your 50’s housewife.
Cue — Potato, ham, and gouda soup for the win!
Red Potato, Ham, and Gouda Soup
A warm and hearty soup perfect for winter
- 2 medium red potatoes washed &chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 2 cups milk
- 8 oz of gouda (about 2 cups after shredding)
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup of ham cut into bite size pieces
- Combine potatoes and broth in a large pot. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes. The potatoes should be soft enough to slightly mash.
- Add broccoli and milk to the potato mix. All the broccoli to warm and soften.
- Toss gouda and flour together in a bowl to coat the cheese.
- Gradually add the cheese to the potato mix. As the cheese is melting, add the ham.
- Once the cheese is melted and ham is warmed, Enjoy!