Since my school days, June 1st has always signaled the beginning of summer. Sunshine, warm grills, and picnics immediately come to mind along with all the fun activities that only summer brings.
And even though it’s hard to believe, June 1st is just a few days away. It’s already been feeling like summer in my part of the world but now, officially, I can pull out one of my favorite summer recipes — Lemonade Cupcakes!
While the cupcakes are light, summery, and delicious, they are also a huge issue for me and Jay because we consume them faster than we can pass them along to friends. I’m only slightly sorry about this fact. 🙂
If you don’t like lemon, don’t worry, these are not really full of lemon flavor. It’s a subtle flavor that tastes like summer.
As always, I’ve cheated a little bit and used a box cake. And as usual, you do you.
Lemonade Cupcakes & Cream Cheese Icing
Light and delicious -- Tastes like Summer
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup liquid lemonade
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup liquid lemonade
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup of filling
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- Combine all the cupcake ingredients in an electric mixer. Mix for five minutes. Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, combine sugar, cornstarch, lemonade, yolk, and milk in a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat until thickened. This will take about 15 minutes. Stir constantly.
- Stir in butter and remove from heat.
- Once cooled to room temperature, stir in the sour cream.
- Create a hole in the center of your cupcake, spoon filling into a pastry bag, and fill the holes with lemon filling. You can avoid creating a hole by using a cupcake filling tip. *The filling may be a little runny at this point. It will thicken up later.
- Combine cream cheese, powered sugar, vanilla, and 1/3 of the remaining lemon filling in an electric mixer.
- Once smooth, fold in the whipped cream.
- Fill a pastry bag with icing, pipe on the icing, and refrigerate until ready to enjoy! The refrigeration will help the filling set up.
The filling has the most lemon-y flavor so if you need to satisfy a few people that really despise lemon, leave the filling out of a few.
I hope you love these Lemonade Cupcakes! I would love to hear your thoughts on them.