After spending almost two months in Athens, I’ve learned a thing or two about grocery shopping and meal prep in a cramped kitchen.
Our first Airbnb had your normal kitchen equipment: sink, coffee pot, refrigerator, and dish drainer. But we found one thing seriously lacking – the stove. We had a single hot plate. No oven. No microwave. Just a single hot plate.
An optimist might say that this was beneficial because it cut down on the dirty dishes but I’m rarely an optimist.
Thankfully, I can usually admit when I’m wrong and things actually turned out okay. 🙂
Mostly because Pinterest is full of one pan/pot dishes. The difficulty was accessibility to goods.
Turns out, lots of one pan meals require cheddar! Not an easy find in Greece.
Thankfully, Greece has Lidl. Lidl is a lot like Aldi, which is probably why they are chief competitors of each other. Best part of Lidl was that they had cheddar – sometimes.
With our newly discovered (occasional) source of cheddar we set off to make a one pan meal in our favorite palate — MEXICAN!
We did have to make some adjustments based upon availability of other ingredients but this was a totally accidental win!!
Mexican Burrito Bowl
A Mexican inspired one-pot meal
- 2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 1 can of beans (black or kidney), drained and rinsed
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of uncooked rice
- 1-1/2 cup chicken broth
- In a large pot, bring chicken broth to a boil.
- Add all the ingredients except the shredded chicken.
- Reduce heat to low-medium and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken, stir in, and let cook for 5 minutes more or until rice is fluffy.
- Turn off the heat. Spoon into a bowl. Top with cheddar and enjoy!
At our second housing location, we managed to find tortilla shells as well as cheddar so we made ourselves burritos. Yumm!!
A few other random notes you may want to know —
- Black beans are impossible to find but we learned that kidney beans work fantastically!
- The beans serve as a great source of protein so if you wanted to cut out the chicken and make this a vegetarian dish you could always add more beans and use vegetable broth instead.
- Also, we had to carry our groceries about half a mile so we used bouillon.