Have you ever been stuck behind the aisle hogs at the grocery store? What do you do?
Usually, if what I need is on my side of the aisle hog, then I grab what I need and turn around. If it’s on the other side, I turn around, go down the next aisle, and back up my original aisle to grab what I need. If it’s right in front of them then I abandon my cart, excuse myself, and reach a hand in.
However, this was a holiday weekend and the persons taking up the aisle were not really hogs they were just in the motorized carts and just far enough part that I couldn’t just reach my arm in.
So, I waited. I stood there patiently pretending that I couldn’t make up my mind about which pudding to buy. Eventually, I began looking past the pudding to the other items. That’s when I saw today’s cupcake inspiration. Black Cherry Juice.
With a little bit of this and a little bit of that, I got this —
These cupcakes are light with just enough sweetness. Flavors are subtle but wonderful on a summer’s day. Go pick up your own Black Cherry Juice and enjoy these today!!
*Start with 2 cups of Cherry Juice. You’ll reduce it once by half and use 1/2 cup in the cupcakes. You’ll then reduce again by half for the icing.
Black Cherry Cupcakes
A deliciously airy cupcake to celebrate summer.
You will begin with 2 cups of Cherry juice and reduce for the cupcakes and then reduce again for the icing. Instructions are in the recipe.
- 1 Butter Yellow Box Cake
- 1/2 Cup Butter (softened)
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- 1-1/2 Teaspoons Almond Extract
- 1/2 Cup of Reduced Cherry Juice*
- 1-1/4 Cup Butter (Softened)
- 4 Cups Powered Sugar
- 1/8 Teaspoon Almond Extract
- 2-3 Tablespoons of further Reduced Cherry Juice*
- In a sauce pan, cook the 2 Cups of Black Cherry Juice on medium/high heat. It’ll take about 20 minutes to reduce by half. Remove 1/2 cup for the cupcakes and leave the remaining 1/2 cup in the pan but off the heat.
- Combine all the ingredients for the cupcakes in an electric mixer and let mix for five minutes.
- Fill cupcake liners about 1/2 way and bake for 20-22 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, return to your 1/2 cup of unused Cherry Juice. Return the pan to medium heat. Stir for 10-20 minutes until it reduces by about half. It should be a more syrupy consistency. You’ll need to watch it as it cooks because it’ll reduce very fast and burn. Remove from heat.
- In an electric mixer, beat the softened butter. Add the powered sugar 1/2 cup at a time.
- Add the 1/8 teaspoon almond extract and 2 tablespoons Cherry Juice. You can add the extra tablespoon for a stronger flavor.
- Frost each cupcake and Enjoy!!
A few things to note:
- If your Black Cherry Syrup makes the icing too thin, add 1 tablespoon butter and 1/4 cup powered sugar.
- The icing will be sweet on its own but the flavor will lighten when combined with the cupcake.
By the way, make sure to grab a friend to help you enjoy these or you’ll be inclined to eat them all!